Cancer survivor aims to repay the hospitals that saved his life
- Credit: Ian Burt
A cancer survivor is so impressed with the care he received by the NHS that he is organising a charity concert to raise funds for two hospitals.
Mike Wallace, 68, will hold the event at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital (N&N) later this year after making a full recovery following successful treatment by doctors.
'These people deserve so much,' he said.
'They give back people's lives, give them and their families new hope, and we should all pull together in helping them continue such wonderful work.'
Mr Wallace was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer, one of the most aggresive types of cancer, in August 2014 and underwent nine weeks of chemotherapy at Queen Elizabeth Hospital King's Lynn (QEH).
You may also want to watch:
He then had an 11-hour operation led by consultant Edward Cheong, and his team at the N&N, before another nine weeks of chemotherapy at QEH.
Since then he has been determined to give something back to the people who saved him.
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 4 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 5 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 6 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 7 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 8 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 9 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 10 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
'I would not be here if it was not for their care attention and superb professionalism in making me well,' Mr Wallace, of Tydd St Mary near Wisbech, said.
'What was so good about the whole team was that although I was a patient they made me feel like a friend.
'These people have made me look at life in a much different way, and part of that is to do my best to support them so other people can benefit from such wonderful treatment.'
Mr Wallace, a keen guitar player, is therefore organising a concert at the N&N on August 13 with his friend Tommy Loose.
Funds raised will be split between the N&N and QEH hospitals.
Have you got a health story? Email email@example.com