Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- Credit: Suffolk Police
Police have warned motorists to beware "severe" flooding in Haverhill after the town experienced heavy rain and thunderstorms.
Several police units are currently helping to divert traffic away from Ehringshausen Way in Haverhill, between the Lidl and Sturmer Roundabout.
Videos taken at the scene by officers show flood water covering the road.
Officers have called for drivers to avoid the scene and find alternative routes.
Met Office meteorologist Steven Keates said parts of the south between south Suffolk could be deluged by 100mm of rain in just a few hours on Sunday evening.
You may also want to watch:
Initial measurements show nearby Helions Bumpstead has already experienced 76mm of rain.
"There's torrential thunderstorms around yet again," Mr Keates said.
- 1 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 2 Man dies following crash between tractor and car
- 3 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 4 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 5 Farmhouse sells at auction after 60 bids - but how much did it go for?
- 6 Wife's tribute to horse-loving 'true-gentleman' after inquest
- 7 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
- 8 12 police vehicles called to 'very serious' crash in west Norfolk
- 9 The Original Factory Shop opens its doors in north Norfolk
- 10 Delays on A47 following crash
"Into the evening, from Norfolk to Bournemouth we are going to see some pretty lively showers.
"Torrential downpours, thunder and lightning and potentially some hailstones are settling in the south."
In neighbouring Essex, the county's police control room has already received more than 20 calls related to rain.