Happy birthday Skoda Octavia
- Credit: Skoda
The Skoda Octavia, one of the most successful model series in the automotive world, made its debut 20 years ago.
Since 1996, the Octavia has become a worldwide hit and is still the traditional Czech car-maker's best-selling model, instrumental in the successful development of the Skoda brand.
In the 20 years since its debut, five million customers have opted for one of the various Octavia models over its three generations. Its combination of above-average space, modern engines and safety features at an attractive price was the inspiration for all the brand's later models.
Development of the Octavia began a year after the Czech brand joined the Volkswagen Group in 1991. The hatchback was revealed in 1996, followed by the first Octavia estate in 1998 with a four-wheel drive estate a year later.
Skoda revived the Octavia name from a model range of which it produced 364,000 units between 1959 and 1964. The Latin word 'octavia' means 'the eighth', relating to Skoda's eighth automobile of the 'modern era' with independent suspension following the debut of this technology in 1933.
You may also want to watch:
As well as being built in the Czech Republic, Octavia is also produced in China, India, Russia and Kazakhstan.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 3 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 4 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 5 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 6 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 7 Ford and Jaguar crash in second incident near village in same night
- 8 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 9 Road closed after crash involving car and two tractors
- 10 Power cut hits Norwich city centre