Halesworth prepares for scarecrow invasion as family festival returns for eighth year
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Colourful scarecrows of all shapes and sizes will be filling the streets and windows of Halesworth as the town's annual festival is launched.
Now in its eighth year, Halesworth Scarecrow Week runs throughout the October half term, providing a fun trail for all the family to follow.
Once again local shops and businesses will be vying to produce the most eye-catching and ingenious scarecrow, with previous years' creations including a fire-breathing dragon, a giant gingerbread man and a living scarecrow.
Last year's festival saw 70 entries, something organiser Karen Prime, who owns Edwards restaurant in the town, hopes to match this year.
The festival kicks off on Saturday, October 21, and will run until Saturday, October 28.
You may also want to watch:
Scarecrows will be displayed up and down the Thoroughfare, around the Market Place, in and past the church and back to Angel Link.
And it is up to the children of Halesworth and the surrounding villages to vote for their favourite and decide who will win the coveted award of best scarecrow in town.
- 1 Indian variant Covid cases in Norfolk 'cause to be cautious'
- 2 Norfolk farmhouse with indoor pool for sale by online auction
- 3 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 4 Man in 30s airlifted to hospital following serious fall
- 5 City poised for Maddison cash boost
- 6 Riverside pub welcomes customers again with new owners
- 7 Best bargain ever? Village hall for sale for £35,000
- 8 Man drowned after drifting out onto lake on air bed
- 9 Inquest into death of 22-year-old swimmer at Norfolk beauty spot
- 10 Staff at food firm receive £900 bonus each
There will also be a treasure trail available, suitable for children of all ages. Shops and businesses around the town centre will have letters hidden in their windows which, when put together, will make up words. And this year the theme is children's stories.
Those with all the correct answers will be entered into a prize draw, with the winner receiving the honour of switching on the town's Christmas lights on Saturday, November 26, as well as a £50 cash prize from donations made by local businesses. There will also be prizes for the runners up.
Entry forms cost £1 and will be available from Edwards restaurant and the town library, both in the Thoroughfare. All money raised will go towards the fund for the Christmas lights display.
There will also be competitions and special offers available in many of the shops.
The event is one of many community-led events which take place in Halesworth over the year to promote the market town as a shopping, eating, meeting and leisure destination.
• Have you got a Halesworth story? Email the details to email@example.com