Gunton woodland burial park is an ‘incredibly worthwhile project’ says volunteer
- Credit: Nick Butcher
The new Gunton woodland burial park has officially opened to the public.
The six-year initiative was led by members of the parochial church council at Gunton St Peter's Church and Gunton Woodland Community Project, under the collective banner of Gunton Woodland Burial Trust.
After four years of preparatory work, the necessary planning approvals were finally obtained for the first phase of the scheme.
After a number of community tree planting events - and with important factors including conceptual design, soil investigation and archaeological surveys all completed - the site is now open to the public.
The first interment of ashes is scheduled to take place today (Friday, January 8), with the burial park linked by footpaths which will be open to the public, including dog walkers.
Harry Hill, chairman of the non-profit making charity, said: 'Before we began we were advised that about 80 per cent of people wanted to be cremated with the remaining 20 per cent wanting burial.
'Since we launched, we have found it is more like 50-50.
- 1 Driver caught hitting speeds of 119mph on A47
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 Fake chefs deliver out-of-date lasagne to Carrow Road ahead of Spurs clash
- 4 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 5 Where the streets have no cars... the community that banned the school run
- 6 Investigation closed after cash stolen from popular attraction
- 7 PICTURES: The best-dressed punters at Fakenham Ladies Day
- 8 Crash closes part of B1145 in west Norfolk
- 9 More cameras could be on way to fine law-breaking Norfolk motorists
- 10 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
'We have been taken by surprise but it shows how much a woodland burial park was needed locally.'
The park has been planted with more than 6,600 native broadleaved trees and shrubs, funded by the Forestry Commission under their English Woodland Grant Scheme.
Barry Shimmield, 83, is on the advisory group for the Gunton Woodland Burial Trust and lives directly opposite the site.
'About six years ago now, the churchyard at Gunton St Peter's was completely full and there was nowhere for the parishioners to be buried,' he said.
'The council had their eyes on the field and planned to convert it into rugby pitches.
'But it didn't come to anything and the decision was made to convert it to a burial ground.
'It has been an incredibly worthwhile project – 12 months of hard work - but we can look upon it as a successful idea.'
People can choose single burial spots in glades for £650 and £1,300 for couples or friends side by side. Burial of ashes, for one to two space plots, costs £300. To enquire about reservations, call 07419 324078 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, visit www.guntonwoodlandburial.co.uk
Are you organising a community project? Tell The Journal by calling 01502 525820 or email email@example.com