Great Yarmouth will be place to be for all things wheels at two day festival
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
A coastal town is gearing up for a two day festival that celebrates vehicles of all descriptions.
Great Yarmouth is hosting the seafront annual GY Wheels Festival on Saturday, July 8 and Sunday, July 9.
One of the star attractions, to be showcased in two marquees on Anchor Plaza and Anchor Gardens, will around 30 colourful hotrods from the National Street Rod Association.
Visitors will be able to get up close to the hotrods, American cruisers from the 1950s and 1960s which have been lovingly suped-up and customised by their owners, often at great expense.
Other wheeled attractions along the seafront will include special vehicles from the East Coast Pirates Car Club, Lotus Carltons and Vauxhall Opel makes from the Autobahn Stormers Club, plus some GT40s and a vintage Austin truck.
You may also want to watch:
As part of the festival thousands of bikers will also be motoring into the resort for the Great Yarmouth Motorcycle Takeover.
Details of further festival attractions will be announced over the coming weeks.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 3 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 4 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 5 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 6 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 7 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 8 Air ambulance and coastguard attend incident on Sheringham beachfront
- 9 Brown Derbies and Bender sausages, when Wimpy ruled fast food
- 10 Woman who died in A47 collision named
The free festival is organised by Great Yarmouth Borough Council and the Wheels festival committee.
Barry Coleman, chairman of the borough council's economic development committee, said: 'The GY Wheels Festival is now in its third year and has grown each season, providing yet another reason to visit the borough throughout the season and thereby supporting the economy.
'This free festival is for everyone of all ages – not just car enthusiasts – and we are pleased to be welcoming back the hotrods from the National Street Rods Association, which will put on a spectacular display along the seafront.'
The GY Wheels Festival is sponsored by the borough council, the Greater Yarmouth Tourism and Business Improvement Area (GYTABIA), Joyland and the American Diner, Active Norfolk and the Department for Transport.
Gareth Brown, chairman of the GYTABIA, said: 'The GYTABIA is always keen to support events such as the Wheels Festival which showcases something different every year and brings increased numbers of people to the area.
'The displays are certain to be a huge draw to a wide range of visitors as well as to local residents.'