Great Yarmouth’s new mayor vows to be her own woman after following in mother’s footsteps
- Credit: Archant
Great Yarmouth's new mayor is settling into life in the office after following in her late mother's footsteps,
Kerry Robinson Payne donned the robes and chains for the first time this week, with her first day 11 years to the day after mother Susan Robinson took on the role.
She said: 'I think my mother would be absolutely thrilled that I'm following in her footsteps and it all feels rather surreal. It hasn't really sunk in yet.
'I don't know what advice she would give me, but other past mayors have told me to be myself and my own person, so that is what I'm going to do.'
Her 16-year-old daughter Niamh gave a speech at her mayor-making ceremony on Monday, and the new mayor is hoping her daughter may too take on the chain one day.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'I would love us to have a third generation mayor. I was so proud of her speech so it would be lovely to have a third mayor in the family one day.'
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 3 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 4 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 5 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 6 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 7 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 8 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 9 What does the ice-cream man do during winter?
- 10 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country