Road sign error suggests Great Yarmouth is just one mile from Lowestoft
- Credit: Archant
A road sign is potentially sending tourists into a spin – by suggesting two of the region's top tourist resorts, which are actually 10 miles apart, are separated by just a mile.
Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft are two towns with their own unique identity and history, and are separated by a whole county border.
It takes about 20mins to drive the 10.7mile distance along the A47.
But tourists looking for hints on how to get between the two may have been surprised to find one sign suggesting it was just a brisk walk from Lowestoft's Bascule bridge to Yarmouth seafront.
The sign outside Lowestoft railway station, in Station Square, just off the A47, correctly says Beccles is 10 miles away and Carlton Colville four miles away, but says that Yarmouth is just a mile away on cycle route number one.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Highways England, which looks after Britain's A-roads and motorways, said it is now checking to see if the sign falls under its responsibility.
'If it is ours and there is a mistake on it, we will arrange to replace it as soon as possible,' a Highways England spokesman said.
- 1 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 2 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 3 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 4 Woman hurt in hit-and-run crash near school
- 5 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 6 Disabled driver fined £60 for stopping to clean windscreen at hospital
- 7 Indian variant could hamper roadmap, Norfolk health expert says
- 8 City step up Skipp Spurs chase
- 9 Waiting game for parkrun lovers as one Norfolk event closes
- 10 Man living in hotel after sewage floods bathroom in 'uninhabitable' flat