Great Yarmouth Bowls Festival to return to seafront at the weekend
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2015
The biggest outdoor open bowling event in the country will be return to Great Yarmouth's seafront this weekend
More than 1,100 bowlers will take to the pitches to compete over the following four weeks in the Great Yarmouth Festival of Bowls 2018.
Organised by Great Yarmouth Borough Council, bowls stalwart Derek Webster and the Festival of Bowls Committee, this year's festival will take place on the Britannia Bowling Greens between Sunday, August 26 and Friday, September 21.
This year Mr Webster will be stepping down after 25 years as tournament manager.
He said: 'I've always said that Great Yarmouth seafront is the best bowls venue in the country – the atmosphere and setting is fantastic, and people come back every year to see the high standard of play and meet old friends.
You may also want to watch:
'This year, we even have players from as far as Queensland, Australia and Tenerife who are visiting Great Yarmouth.'
The annual festival is free to watch, with participants competing in men's, ladies' and mixed teams for singles, pairs, triples and fours titles.
- 1 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 2 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 3 Man charged after cannabis factory and 300 plants found above pizza takeaway
- 4 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 5 Man jailed for 24 years for raping and sexually assaulting two girls
- 6 Early hours arrests as part of 'ongoing police investigation'
- 7 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 8 Missing man found by off-duty police officer
- 9 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 10 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
Mr Webster added: 'I'm nearly 85 years old now, so it's time for somebody else to have a go as tournament manager. I've been very, very fortunate to always work with a good team of people who do a good job.'
Barry Coleman, chairman of the council's economic development committee, said: 'Having the biggest outdoor open bowling event in Great Yarmouth is a great accolade, something to be proud of, and I would like to take this opportunity to recognise the sponsors, the volunteers on the Festival of Bowls Committee, and thank Derek Webster personally for his 25 years of service.'
He added: 'The festival is free to watch and attracts hundreds of players from all over, who stay in our hotels and guest houses, eat in our restaurants, visit our other attractions and really boost the economy. It's also a great attraction for local residents too.'
The new sponsors in 2018 are Simpsons Skoda Great Yarmouth, Thompsons Food Services, Sentinel Leisure Trust and the Fish and Grill.