WATCH: All the best action as Grant Holt wins his singles wrestling debut
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
Norwich City legend Grant Holt body-slammed his way to victory in his first singles wrestling match in Norwich.
The former Canaries centre forward won by default after his opponent, Brad O'Brien, was disqualified when a trio of other wrestlers stormed the ring and gave Holt some punishment.
The 37-year-old treated the crowd to some spectacular moves before being carried out of the ring by WAW promoters at the end of the fight after being 'badly hurt'.
The morning after the event, Mr Holt tweeted: 'Nice black eye and fat lip from last nights wrestling debut. Glad to get the win.'
He headed into the ring at Epic Studios on Saturday as part of the World Association of Wrestling (WAW) 'Do they know it's Christmas?' event.
You may also want to watch:
The ex-striker already had a taste of success after winning the WAW 40-man rumble earlier this year.
Before the fight, Mr Holt said: 'My opponent is a fantastic wrestler, he's got some fantastic moves that he pulls out of from nowhere, you have to very vigilant about where you are in the ring.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 4 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 7 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 8 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 9 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
- 10 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
'Once I got the opportunity, that was it, I had to do it! I'm really enjoying it.'
Holt was supposed to make his debut at Fightmare 3 in 2019, to give him time to train, but he climbed in the ring almost a year early.
He was welcomed to Epic Studios with a standing ovation by the crowd of more than 800 people.
Zak Knight, wrestler and co-owner of WAW, said: 'He [Grant Holt] met the family had a 10-minute session in the ring and loved it.
'From there he has won the 40 man memorial trophy and is set to make his singles debut.
'As soon as we saw him in the ring we knew he was a natural, he took to the ring as well as he did to football.'
The former Canaries striker is due to fight again next June at another WAW event.
Mr Knight said: 'We're planning something big, instead of just having British talent in the ring we're hoping to get the most talented wrestlers from around the world in Norwich.'
To find out more about WAW follow them on Twitter: @WAW_UK