Warnings that buses will be delayed due to major roadworks
- Credit: Archant
Bus passengers face weeks of disruption as major roadworks have begun.
The latest scheme focuses on the A47 through Gorleston over the next four months.
Highways England is upgrading the former A12 in conjunction with Norfolk County Council to improve the road surface and safety features along a nearly two and a half mile stretch between Gorleston and Hopton.
The number 8 and 9 First Bus services will be diverted throughout the works, with alternative timetables available from the bus company.
Due to roadworks at the Brasenose Avenue and James Paget Hospital junctions on Lowestoft Road, Gorleston, First Bus is making temporary changes to the route and timetable of service 9.
You may also want to watch:
On journeys from Great Yarmouth to the hospital, buses will run via part of Lowestoft Road to reach Bridge Road and then carry on as normal until they get to Mariners Compass pub. From here buses will continue on right round the Compass, and turn right back onto Links Road, then onto Lowestoft Road to get to the James Paget Hospital.
From the hospital, the bus will turn left onto Lowestoft Road and then left into Brasenose Avenue. Passengers from Cliff Park will be able to board the bus on its outward journey from Great Yarmouth and will stay on the vehicle while it waits at the James Paget Hospital.
- 1 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 4 Secluded Broads farmhouse in almost 11 acres goes up for sale
- 5 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 6 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 7 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 8 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 9 Plans for seven new supermarkets in Norfolk - but where will they be?
- 10 Police called after elderly, sick seal attacked with stones
A spokesman for First Bus said: 'Unfortunately this does mean different times and longer journeys for passengers from the Cliff Park area to Gorleston and Great Yarmouth.'
Evening and Sunday journeys on Service 8 towards the James Paget Hospital which serve Cliff Park will follow the same diversion route as Service 9 during the day, but please note that all journeys from the hospital will operate direct via Lowestoft Road to Brasenose Avenue, so again passengers from Cliff Park will have to board the bus on the way to the hospital.
Other buses which serve the hospital – services 1/1A, 8, X1 and X11 – will also be subject to delays and minor diversions because of the works, but will still serve all stops as normal.
A spokesman added: 'We have worked with Highways England to reduce the impact of the roadworks on our services as far as possible, but there will be some delays and we apologise for the disruption to your journey.'