GoGoDragons! selfies app is highly commended in national awards ceremony
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Our selfies app designed to give fans of Norwich's GoGoDragons! the chance to share their photos of the winged warriors has been highly commended in a national awards ceremony.
The GoGoDragons! selfies app - which celebrated the charity art trail brought to Norwich by children's charity Break and Wild in Art - was highly commended in the Best Use of User Generated Content category of newsawards 2016 which took place in London on Wednesday.
Judges described it as 'highly innovative' and 'a nicely executed charity campaign built around user selfies.'
The app helped to create excitement about the trail online and many of the selfies that dragon fans uploaded featured in news stories and our Year of the Dragons book created with support from the East of England Co-op.
The overall winner of the Best Use of User Generated Content category was The Guardian's The Counted campaign.
You may also want to watch:
Pete Raven, digital content manager for the Eastern Daily Press and Evening News, said: 'There's no great shame in coming second to The Guardian. The response to our selfie app was overwhelming with more than 2,000 people sending us their photos with the dragons. 2016 will also see two new campaigns appearing on our igather app. Watch this space.'
The Eastern Daily Press was also commended in the Fujifilm Grand Prix: The Total Package category which was won by The Finanical Times.
- 1 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 2 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 3 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 4 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 5 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 6 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 7 Market traders 'devastated' over council plans to revoke licences
- 8 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 9 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 10 Hamleys toy shop opens in Norwich shopping centre
About the EDP, which won the category in 2015, judges said: 'Hard work and tenacity across the Eastern Daily Press team shows what can be achieved using one medium to drive another. The GoGoDragons! campaign was an absolute triumph. EDP is punching well above its weight.'
newsawards 2016 in association with PJ and Fujifilm took place at the Lancaster London hotel.
The awards celebrate news media print, technology and business innovation.