Girls’ sponsored walk for the Norfolk Hospice in memory of their much-loved grandpa
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Four youngsters raised more than £500 from a sponsored walk to thank the hospice which supported their grandpa.
Amelia Rix, seven, and her sister Eloise, nine, joined cousins Hannah and Megan Reid, aged nine and 12, to walk from Snettisham to Hunstanton along the beach.
They set off in the biting cold on Friday, February 22, ending up by the lighthouse on the wind-swept cliff tops.
Sponsorship money collected from friends and family around Terrington, where the Rix family live, and the Reids' home in Dereham, helped them raise a total of £513 for the Norfolk Hospice.
Eloise said the girls wanted to do the walk because they missed their grandpa, Roger Reid, who died last summer.
You may also want to watch:
'We lost dad in the summer and we lost mum five years ago,' said Hannah and Megan's mother, Caroline Reid.
'Dad benefited from bereavement counselling from the hospice when he lost mum and they supported dad for the last few weeks and they helped him to stay at home, which was what he wanted.'
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 3 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 4 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 5 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 6 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 7 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 8 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 9 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
Lindsey Atkin, from the Norfolk Hospice, said the money would be put towards the ongoing costs of the hospice, including the outreach services it provides.
Work is set to begin shortly on a brand new hospice serving West Norfolk and the Fens at Hillington, near King's Lynn, which will provide around the clock care.