Weird Norfolk: Witches, beasts and ghosts all made the top five of 2017
- Credit: Archant
As the year draws to a close we take a look back at the some of the most popular Weird Norfolk stories of 2017. Follow the links for the full stories.
Weird Norfolk: The lost village of Shipden
It is the vanishing village that just can't stay silent, a forgotten parish from the Norfolk coast that was swallowed by the sea, the county's own Atlantis just a stone's throw from the famous Cromer Pier.
http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/weird-norfolk-the-lost-village-of-shipden-1-5154622Weird Norfolk: The ghosts of the Acle Straight.
You may also want to watch:
A stretch of road like no other in Norfolk, a spirit level which crosses the misty marshes to link a Broadland market town to the seaside.
As its name suggests, the road is exceptionally straight – other than a curve where the Halvergate branch road joins it at a point which encompasses the new Hindu temple in the former home of the Stracey Arms, a preserved wind pump, a house and a humped bridge which spans the Norwich to Yarmouth railway line. It was close to this exact point where something very strange was spotted – the spectral figure of a man.
- 1 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 2 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 3 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 4 Woman's life 'left in pieces' after being raped while unconscious
- 5 'Absolutely horrific' - Girl, 14, kicked and punched in face in fight
- 6 Part of A47 reopens after earlier accident
- 7 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 10 Builder opens shepherd huts on site with unusual feature
http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/weird-norfolk-the-ghosts-of-the-acle-straight-1-5294158Weird Norfolk: The Headless Ghost of Sandy Lane, Dereham
The floating figure appeared just before the witching hour, an almost transparent apparition that appeared to climb invisible stairs before melting into the darkness before the eyes of a horrified woman walking home along Sandy Lane in Dereham after a night out with friends.
http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/weird-norfolk-the-headless-ghost-of-sandy-lane-dereham-1-4956901Weird Norfolk: Have you seen the beast of the A1075?
The Wildman of Watton or Bigfoot of the Forest, whatever name you choose to give the creature, there's mounting evidence of a Sasquatch on the loose.
http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/weird-norfolk-have-you-seen-the-beast-of-the-a1075-1-5254140Weird Norfolk: The witch of East Somerton
The atmospheric ruins of St Mary's Church at East Somerton tell a tale of a witch's curse on a village church, which ended with the destruction of the village church.