Get fit, get fundraising: Thetford and Brandon to host Sport Relief Mile
- Credit: Victoria Dawe
Runners and walkers from neighbouring towns will be putting their best foot forward for charity as part of a national fundraising effort.
People from Brandon and Thetford will be trying to run rings around poverty by taking part in the Sport Relief Mile on March 20.
Breckland Leisure Centre, in Croxton Road, and Brandon Remembrance Playing Fields, in Church Road, will host events, which will raise money for the UK's poorest communities.
In Thetford, participants can take on a mile run or walk.
Julie Pike, Sports Development Officer for Parkwood Leisure, which runs Breckland Leisure Centre, said: 'The Sainsbury's Sport Relief Mile in Thetford is here and it's your time to walk or run yourself proud.
'From little ones with their mums and dads, to runners up against the clock there's something for everyone to make themselves feel proud on this special day.'
The mile will take place on the fields behind the leisure centre from 1.30pm.
- 1 Where the streets have no cars... the community that banned the school run
- 2 Fake chefs deliver out-of-date lasagne to Carrow Road ahead of Spurs clash
- 3 Restaurant apologises after boy hospitalised with allergic reaction
- 4 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 5 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 6 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
- 7 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
- 8 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 9 Town faces disruption from roadworks 15 miles away
- 10 World record? 24 ducklings spotted waddling through Norfolk village
At Brandon, participants can run or walk one, three or six mile events around the field behind Brandon Leisure Centre.
A mass warm up session will get things going, with registration open from 9.30am and the event beginning at 10.10am.
Karl Holmes, centre manager, said: 'This is the first ever Sport Relief Mile that we have hosted here at Brandon Leisure Centre since becoming part of the Abbeycroft family and we are very excited.
'Our experience here at the leisure centre is that people very often need a goal to aim for when trying to increase their physical activity and this is a fantastic target.
'You can bring the whole family and use the event to motivate you and raise money for a brilliant cause at the same time.'
The Brandon Fern Hoppers are helping to organize the event and helping with marshaling on the day.
Paul Meader, chairman, said: 'Brandon Fern Hoppers Running Club are delighted to be able to support Sport Relief.
'Do yourself proud and join thousands of people all over the UK in this fantastic event. Tell your friends, and get them running, walking and donating.'
Sport Relief takes place from March 18 to 20.
Are you holding an event? Email firstname.lastname@example.org