Further works to take place on Fiveways roundabout to improve safety and traffic flow
- Credit: Archant
One of the region's busiest roundabouts is set to undergo further improvement works.
Work will take place on the Fiveways roundabout near Barton Mills from January 20 to 23, in an effort to improve safety and traffic flow.
The Highways Agency said the work will involve changing road markings and signs on the roundabout in order to more clearly direct traffic into the correct lanes.
The work follows pressure from campaigners to make the roundabout safer, and the dualling of the A11 from the roundabout to Thetford, which was completed in December 2014.
Geoff Chatfield, Highways England project manager, said: 'We routinely assess the impact of our major projects and, while it is too early to draw any firm conclusions about the A11, the initial signs are very good.
'We have identified some further improvements we can make to the layout of the Fiveways Roundabout to improve traffic flows and reduce the likelihood of incidents.
'We have planned the work carefully to minimise delays, but there will be occasions where we have lane restrictions during the day, and I encourage drivers to plan ahead so they can leave extra time for their journeys if they need to.'
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 3 World War Two aircraft to fly over Norfolk's skies
- 4 'He could've gone all the way' - Mum's tribute to aspiring boxer, 19
- 5 Lloyds to close bank in Norwich suburb
- 6 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 7 Norfolk worst area in UK for uninsured and untaxed drivers
- 8 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 9 Two Norfolk spots named among best places in Britain for a weekend break
- 10 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
During the work, 24-hour lane closures will be in place on the northbound and southbound A11 approaches to Fiveways roundabout, as well as on the roundabout itself.
The A11 and the Fiveways Roundabout will remain open for traffic throughout the work. Two lanes will be open for traffic on the A11 north and southbound approaches during peak hours to minimise impact.
What do you think? Email firstname.lastname@example.org