Further tributes paid to former Gorleston student killed in Dereham crash
- Credit: Lincoln Colonials
The death of a gifted sportsman and accomplished musician has been described as a 'tragedy' by his former college principal.
Kriss Dreimanis was killed when his car crashed into a tree near Dereham early on Sunday morning.
The 20-year-old was a former student at East Norfolk Sixth Form College and had lived in Gorleston for a number of years before going on to university in Lincolnshire.
Daphne King, principal of the Church Lane college, paid tribute to the talented athlete, who was a keen volleyball and American football player.
She said: 'This is a tragedy. Kriss was a hardworking student at East Norfolk and made many friends who he kept in touch with while at university.
You may also want to watch:
'He studied maths, chemistry and music technology, was a member of the volleyball team and went on from East Norfolk to study audio technology at Lincoln University.
'His friends and teachers will be so saddened at this news.'
- 1 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 2 Man, 20, who drowned at Bawsey Pits is named
- 3 Cat food brands recalled over link to fatal disease
- 4 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 5 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 6 Tributes to popular Tesco worker with 'sparkling personality'
- 7 Man in 20s drowned in Bawsey Country Park lake
- 8 See inside the 'tiny mobile homes' built from scratch for £95,000
- 9 'We'll be forced back on the roads' - travellers' plea at site hearing
- 10 School shut after ceiling tile falls on to class of children
Further tributes have also been paid to him on social media.
Dave Richards said on Twitter: 'Devastated to hear about the loss of Kriss Dreimanis one of our @GYGVC [Great Yarmouth and Gorleston Volleyball Club] players to a car accident.
'Thoughts with his family at a tough time.'
The University of Lincoln's Volleyball Club, who Mr Dreimanis played with, also paid tribute to the skilled sportsman and said on Twitter: 'Yesterday we lost a great friend and volleyball player Kriss Dreimanis. Thoughts to your friends and family #RIPKriss.'
Mr Dreimanis, who moved from Latvia to Gorleston with his mum, became involved with local volleyball teams as a teenager and went on to join the University of Lincoln's American football team, the Colonials.
The team announced that they would be retiring the number 88 shirt he wore in his memory.
Other tributes described Mr Dreimanis as 'thoroughly likeable', 'engaging' and 'always friendly'.
The fatal collision that killed Mr Dreimanis happened in Mattishall Road, on the outskirts of Dereham. Police were called to reports of a crashed Vauxhall Astra at around 12.10am on Sunday.
Officers are appealing for any witnesses to the crash to call the Serious Collision Investigation Team on 101.
? If you would like to pay tribute to Mr Dreimanis email firstname.lastname@example.org