Fundraiser ready to raise money for Redwings Horse Sanctuary
- Credit: Archant
Next month the head of fundraising at Redwings Horse Sanctuary will be taking on a running challenge to raise money for the charity and the horses and ponies it cares for.
Gemma Walpole, who is based at the sanctuary in Hapton, near Long Stratton, will take on the Vitality British 10k London Run with her father Patrick Carnell.
The pair are hoping to raise £3,000 - enough to care for one horse for a year.
Having always had a passion for horses, for her sixth birthday Mrs Walpole's friend adopted her a horse from Redwings.
Mrs Walpole said: 'I have always been obsessed with horses. For several years I had riding lessons with my dad dutifully driving me back and forth.
You may also want to watch:
'Twenty years later, just as he thought the pony-days were over, I roped my dad into running the British 10k London Run for Redwings.
'I have worked for Redwings for 12 years and met hundreds of horses and donkeys who have been saved by the sanctuary. I have also sadly seen the number in need increase over the years.'
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 3 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 4 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 5 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 6 No-frills Norwich pub offers top-notch food and every dish is under £8
- 7 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 8 Sales rep who died at nature reserve named at inquest
- 9 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 10 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
Mr Carnell completed his first marathon this year but because of injury Mrs Walpole, who lives in St Margaret, South Elmham, near Harleston, was unable to join him.
But she is determined to join him every stride of the way for their run on Sunday, July 10.
She said: 'I am so unbelievably proud of my dad. Horses are not his passion. But it is my passion for them that is his motivation to run.
'It doesn't matter how long it takes me or how much my knees hurt, I'll be running for my dad as well as for the horses.'
To sponsor Mrs Walpole visit https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Gemma-and-Pat-Run-4-Horses