Fun day at Pigneys Wood, near North Walsham, a hit with families
Dozens of families wandered down to the woods at the weekend to enjoy a free fun day of activities, many with a wildlife theme.
The event, at Pigneys Wood, on the outskirts of North Walsham, was organised to celebrate the end of more than �47,000 worth of improvements, using Big Lottery cash.
Over 360 people visited the 58-acre community woodland on Sunday to take part in activities including making bat and bird boxes, drumming workshops, tales from storyteller John Row, and craft sessions.
Those taking part in a wildflower walk recorded over 50 species, there had been 'long queues' to have a go at pond dipping, and children dissecting owl pellets had been fascinated to find the skull of a large bird among the usual rodent skeletons, according to Mark Webster, of the North Norfolk Workout Project, which organised the day on behalf of Pigneys' trustees.
'A lot of people who came were completely new to the wood and some hadn't even known it was there. The trustees were particularly pleased to attract newcomers,' said Mr Webster.
Workout project volunteers, who are regular visitors to Pigneys, carried out some wildflower planting on the fun day and will be putting up some of the bird and bat boxes made there in due course.
Lottery grant money has been used for improvements including scrapes aimed at attracting wildlife, a kingfisher bank, dipping platform, an orchard featuring Norfolk fruit varieties, and a track to allow maintenance vehicles to get into the woodland.
- 1 Meet the man behind a morbid new craze
- 2 Norfolk pub gets booked up every Sunday for its roast dinner platters
- 3 Long stretch of A47 closed overnight due to crash
- 4 18 sights you will remember from Norfolk in the 1980s
- 5 Villagers hope to take on land near their homes
- 6 Norwich venue offering Afternoon Cheese and it looks incredible
- 7 New operators take over at council-owned leisure centre
- 8 Custom-built six-bedroom home with indoor slide on the market for £900,000
- 9 Pressure waves of Hunga Tonga volcanic eruption felt across East Anglia
- 10 Staff and customers gutted after fire badly damages popular takeaway