Friends and family pay tribute to ‘remarkable’ Great Yarmouth war veteran

SCORES of people turned out to pay tribute to and honour a 'remarkable' Great Yarmouth war veteran who died at the age of 88.

The pews at the Newtown Methodist Church were filled with family and friends of John Green as they celebrated the great grandfather's life.

Mr Green, who lost a leg in combat as a teenage infantryman while serving in the second world war, was well-known throughout the seaside resort especially for his tireless work with the British Limbless Ex-Servicemen's Association (Blesma) - which led to him becoming an MBE.

During the service on yesterday (Friday) Reverend Andrew Fielding shared his memories of Mr Green with the congregation and revealed his nickname.

He said: 'When it came to entitlements his nick name was bulldog because he wouldn't let anything go until other had benefited. John wanted what was right and he dedicated himself to making it so.'

Mr Fielding went on to describe Mr Green's rich life, which included helping to run a B&B with wife Zelia and working at the Yarmouth electricity board, where people would personally ask for his help.

One of his four grandchildren, Jeanette then paid an emotional tribute to the charity stalwart who she described as 'lovely, kind, generous, sometimes stubborn but mostly full of fun'.

Most Read

She recalled day trips to the seafront with him, riding on the snails and eating candyfloss, and his ability to create anything to entertain his grandchildren from a few bits and bobs and his rolls of trusty black tape.

'One thing that drove and motivated granddad and summed him up was a smile. He loved giving them by telling a joke, and he wanted a big smile on everyone's face,' she added. 'I think he would prefer it if you remember the good times.'

Mr Green lived in Kitchener Road and later moved to The Lawns when Zelia died in 2003. Some months before his death he had been cared for at the James Paget Hospital.

He had suffered two falls and although at one point seemed to be on the mend took a turn for the worse after developing pneumonia, and died at home on June 5.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter