Fresh housing plan for redundant Pulham St Mary pub
A redundant village pub will be resurrected and reopened if proposals for a housing scheme on the site are approved, its owner said yesterday.
Fresh plans for a homes development on land at the King's Head at Pulham St Mary have been submitted in the latest in a long running planning saga over housing at the historic site.
Graham Scott bought the listed village inn near Diss in 1993, but it has been shut for more than three years.
The owner said that a development of six houses at the rear of the site was the only way to complete the major structural works needed to reopen Pulham St Mary's only pub.
The latest homes plans come after the inn was placed on the market last year with a �225,000 price tag, but failed to attract a buyer.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Scott said an 'enabling development' was the only way the public house could be refurbished and reopened. He has submitted a petition to South Norfolk Council, which has been signed by more than 180 people supporting the development.
'I have maintained it to a minimum standard, but it is 900 years old and at this time in its life, it needs major structural work. It is bowing out from the front visibly and needs all sorts of work. We have tried every way to do it without an enabling development, but this is the last opportunity to get a trading pub rather than a decaying pub.'
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 3 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 4 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 5 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 6 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 7 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 8 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 9 What does the ice-cream man do during winter?
- 10 Power cut hits Norwich city centre
'No one wanted to buy it and the development is the minimum amount needed in terms of plot to successfully carry out the major works. It is not a massive money making scheme,' he said.
Mr Scott said he was hopeful that the housing plans would be approved, which would be built on a disused bowling green and paddock at the rear of the property.
South Norfolk Council has turned down three housing schemes at the King's Head over the years, which was also upheld by a planning inspector after an appeal.
People have until August 4 to comment on the latest proposals.