Fresh bid for Ellough solar farm not ruled out
- Credit: Archant © 2012
A company which had a bid to build a large solar farm near Beccles thrown out by councillors has not ruled out making another application.
Waveney District Council's development control committee rejected Lark Energy's plan to install 101,640 photovoltaic panels south of Benacre Road, in Ellough, fearing it would impact on the look of the river valley landscape.
However Jo Wall, director at Lark Energy, has not ruled out a fresh bid.
'We are surprised and disappointed about the decision,' she said. 'We are currently reviewing our options – but are of the view that there is still significant opportunity for us to bring forward a scheme on the former Ellough Airfield.'
The initial plan to install the panels across a 46-hectare site was met with opposition due to its size. The council committee had previously asked if Lark Energy would scale back the solar farm by about 50pc, but it refused, instead offering to reduce the height to 2m and plant more hedging to screen the scheme.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking after the meeting, opponent Stephen Basey-Fisher, of Warrens Farm, said: 'Ultimately it is reassuring to see that local opposition can still prevail against inappropriate planning applications from large developers. Hopefully any further applications in the area will be better thought-out and more sympathetic of our beautiful countryside.'
- 1 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 2 Dutch design could inspire revamp of danger roundabout
- 3 Prince William, George and Charlotte start races at Sandringham
- 4 Rare condition kills 'amazing' lorry driver
- 5 'More like March' - So when will we get the sunshine back?
- 6 You can run, Mr Hancock, but you can't hide
- 7 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 8 McDonald's hiring in Norfolk and plans new restaurants
- 9 'Fantastic to have people back' - Tea room reopens on Broads
- 10 Popular restaurant to reopen after staffing issues