Former Gorleston student fought to save life of tube station knife attack victim

Police outside Leytonstone Underground Station in east London following the knife attack. Photo: Jon

Police outside Leytonstone Underground Station in east London following the knife attack. Photo: Jonathan Brady/PA Wire - Credit: PA

A junior doctor who went to school in Norfolk has described the moment he fought to save the life of a knife attack victim at a London tube station.

Dr Matt Smith, a former pupil at Cliff Park High School, in Gorleston, was returning home from an 11-hour hospital shift on Saturday when he walked into the aftermath of the attack at Leytonstone tube station.

Just moments earlier, a 56-year-old man had been stabbed in the neck.

Without any first aid equipment, Mr Smith, 28, ran over to the victim and used a jumper to try and stop the bleeding.

Speaking to ITV News, he said: 'I didn't have any first aid equipment with me, so all I could do was put some pressure on the wound that was still there, had a quick peak and very quickly put the bandage back on realising how serious the injuries were.

'I kept putting pressure on it and kept talking to the guy making sure he was awake, mentally preparing myself that any minute he might collapse and I might have to start CPR waiting for the ambulance.

At this point the alleged attacker came back into the atrium of the station.

Most Read

'We were sitting right by the turnstiles and he came within a metre of two of the turnstiles and was shouting and waving a knife around.'

Mr Smith said it was at this point that his 'fight or flight' response kicked in. But despite the danger facing him, he decided to stay with the man.

He told ITV News: 'I couldn't leave the poor guy on the floor because I thought if I left him he was going to die...

'So, the only thing I could think of doing was taking him with me. I helped him up and then helped him get back up the stairs on to the platform by which point he almost passed out because he lost quite a lot of blood.

'I sat him down and again kept putting pressure on the wound.

'The kind man who gave up his sweater then came back. So I got him to press on the neck while I checked his vitals.'

A 29-year-old man yesterday appeared in court charged with attempted murder in relation to the incident over the weekend.

Muhaydin Mire, of Sansom Road, east London, was remanded in custody at Westminster Magistrates' Court.

The case will be sent to the Old Bailey for a hearing on December 11.