Former children’s home boss from Caister who abused young boys is jailed for nine years
- Credit: Paul Beard
A 'bully and a pervert' who sexually abused and assaulted youngsters while he was the boss of a Warwickshire children's home in the 1970s has been jailed for a total of nine years.
Robert Brown had been found guilty by a jury At Warwick Crown Court of 14 charges of indecently assaulting boys at the Manor Court Road Children's Home in Nuneaton.
Brown, 69, who lived at the children's home at the time, but now of Eastern Avenue, Caister, was also convicted of four charges of cruelty to one of those boys and to three others.
After allowing him to go home over the weekend to 'put his house in order,' recorder Gareth Evans QC jailed him for nine years and ordered him to register as a sex offender for life.
Brown was given consecutive 21-month sentences in relation to each of the four boys he sexually abused, with further six-month consecutive terms for each of the cruelty charges.
You may also want to watch:
Jailing Brown, recorder Evans told him: 'You are 69 years of age, and physically you are but a shadow of your former self.
'But 40 years ago you were a giant of a man who was the master of all he surveyed, in charge of a children's home.
- 1 'One of life's gentlemen' - Neighbours describe killer's double life
- 2 Missing man found by off-duty police officer
- 3 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 4 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 5 Man in 50s dies after crash between car and bicycle
- 6 Three Norfolk hotels named among the best for romance in the UK
- 7 Couple in 80s given hospital treatment after alleged assault in village
- 8 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 9 Man jailed for 24 years for raping and sexually assaulting two girls
- 10 Woman's life 'left in pieces' after being raped while unconscious
'Those children were vulnerable, and did not have the normal family network to support them. Sadly, you were the replacement for their parents. It was a position of trust, and you abused that trust.
'You were no surrogate father, you were a bully and a pervert. You presided over an ethos where some of those children were badly-treated and abused.'