Forget jam and Jerusalem, Hayley’s WI is pretty cool
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Women's Institutes perhaps conjure up images of older ladies making delicious jam whilst joyfully singing Jerusalem.
But Hayley Kurt, 33, has just opened the doors of a new WI in the heart of King's Lynn and is keen to show that by meeting new people and having fun can only be a cool thing.
Whilst keeping with traditions such as baking and flower arranging, there is also a modern twist with activities like cocktail making and belly dancing.
Miss Kurt, president of the Providence Street WI, which is held in the King's Lynn Youth and Community Centre said they had around 20 women turn up for the first meeting.
She said: 'I was really chuffed. I think more people will come to the next one. It's an excuse to get together, meet new people and most importantly have a laugh.
You may also want to watch:
'We welcome any lady that would like to come along and join a group of women that want to have a fun night out, with the benefit of finding out something new.
She added: 'Each month there will be a different speaker and ideas for have been suggested by the women who came along to the meeting.'
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 4 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 5 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 6 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 7 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 8 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
- 9 Plans proposed for 'flexible' space in derelict area of popular park
- 10 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
The idea of starting a new, more modern WI came to Miss Kurt after chatting to friends and realising that there was no where locally to meet and share interests.
She said: 'I've got a group of friends who I have known for years, and recently discovered that we've got shared interests like baking, sewing and knitting that
we never talked about because we didn't think it was cool.
'So I started a W.I. to celebrate them. I'm really excited that we'll all be able to get together to learn new things and enjoy hobbies, while spending time over a glass of wine.'
Miss Kurt has set up a Facebook page, Providence Street WI, and holds the meetings on the second Monday of each month.
Hayley Kurt can also be contacted by email on email@example.com or by calling 07828 087612.
Are you setting up a new social club? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.