Five people need to be rehomed after fire causes smoke damage to Thetford properties
- Credit: Archant
Five people will need to be temporarily rehomed after a fire caused smoke damage to three Thetford properties.
Firefighters were called to the rented flat on Nether Row, in the town centre, at about 8.20pm.
The fire is believed to have started in the kitchen, with four people thought to be in the property at the time.
While the fire is believed to have been contained to the kitchen, there has been smoke damage to the flat and two neighbouring properties.
One tenant of the flat, who was evacuated with her daughter, said she was sleeping at the time the fire started and was woken up by another man who lives there.
You may also want to watch:
Paul Dunning, who owns the rented property, came from his home nearby to the scene.
Tim Lewis, Thetford fire station commander, said: 'Two pumps were deployed from Thetford. We're just confirming that the fire was confined to the kitchen but there is smoke and fire damage.
- 1 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 2 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 3 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 4 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 5 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 6 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 7 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 8 Do you recognise this man?
- 9 'Very calculated predator' - how jailed abuser befriended pupils' families
- 10 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
'Smoke has spread throughout the property, a first floor flat, and has spread to two neighbouring properties.
'Five people will need to be rehoused. A specialist Red Cross Unit has been called in from Sprowston.'