Five people need to be rehomed after fire causes smoke damage to Thetford properties

A fire at a home on Nether Way in Thetford.

A fire at a home on Nether Way in Thetford. - Credit: Archant

Five people will need to be temporarily rehomed after a fire caused smoke damage to three Thetford properties.

Firefighters were called to the rented flat on Nether Row, in the town centre, at about 8.20pm.

The fire is believed to have started in the kitchen, with four people thought to be in the property at the time.

While the fire is believed to have been contained to the kitchen, there has been smoke damage to the flat and two neighbouring properties.

One tenant of the flat, who was evacuated with her daughter, said she was sleeping at the time the fire started and was woken up by another man who lives there.


You may also want to watch:


Paul Dunning, who owns the rented property, came from his home nearby to the scene.

Tim Lewis, Thetford fire station commander, said: 'Two pumps were deployed from Thetford. We're just confirming that the fire was confined to the kitchen but there is smoke and fire damage.

Most Read

'Smoke has spread throughout the property, a first floor flat, and has spread to two neighbouring properties.

'Five people will need to be rehoused. A specialist Red Cross Unit has been called in from Sprowston.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter