Hunstanton chip shop forced to close for two weeks after blaze causes £40,000 worth of damage
- Credit: Archant
A popular coastal fish and chip shop is counting the cost of a fire which caused nearly £40,000 of damage.
Fishers of Hunstanton also faces a substantial loss of earnings after the blaze, which will mean the takeaway will be closed for at least two weeks during the busy summer tourist season.
The restaurant section of the building, which escaped with light smoke damage, will be closed until the weekend.
Firefighters in Hunstanton, King's Lynn, Heacham were able to contain the fire on Tuesday, June 20 in the chip pan area, which owner Mark Wilson said was caused by an electrical fault.
Mr Wilson said: 'We had just finished and the lads were cleaning up when they noticed the smoke.
You may also want to watch:
'There were no customers here and they called the fire station.
'It is fortunate that it was spotted early as it could have been a lot worse. It could have caused a lot more damage.'
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 3 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 6 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 8 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 9 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 10 City keeper diagnosed with testicular cancer
Mr Wilson said as soon as the fire broke out, in Greevegate, people from neighbouring fish and chip shops and passers-by on the streets came together to help.
'There were lots of people from other chip shops in the town who came to help with cleaning up.
'We all like to help each other.
'The amount of well wishers and people who were concerned, I didn't expect that. It is very humbling and I'd like to thank them all,' he added.
The fire obliterated the high efficiency frying range in the takeaway, which means the fish and chip shop will remain closed for two weeks until a replacement is fitted in.
Mr Wilson said it will cost close to £40,000 to fix the damage and it could not have come at a worse time.
One customer travelled 30 miles to grab her favourite take away but was sorry to find it closed.
Mr Wilson added: 'We also have to consider loss of earnings. It is our peak season.'
The takeaway is serviced at least once a year, with the last one carried out in March. It is the first major incident to happen since Mr Wilson took ownership of the business in 1998.
He said the fire was not one he could have anticipated but said the frying range was around 13 years old.
Police attended the scene on Tuesday night to ensure the fire did not spread to neighbouring properties.
A police spokesman confirmed there were no injuries.