First class charity effort from Wymondham couple
- Credit: Archant
A Wymondham couple will be hoping to deliver thousands of pounds to charity as they travel around the country in an old Royal Mail postal van.
Jim and Jennifer Cawte set off yesterday in their 1983 Morris Ital from Wymondham and will travel to John O'Groats before heading down to Land's End and back to Wymondham.
The couple decided they wanted a challenge and thought it would be perfect to combine their love for their van with raising money for the East Anglia's Children's Hospices' (EACH) nook appeal.
Mrs Cawte, 67, said: 'We fancied an adventure and something a bit challenging. We know EACH needs a lot of money to get the nook appeal off the ground so it was a good local charity to support. We've already raised £1,800, our target is £2,000, and we are chuffed to bits. People have really supported us.'
The couple have owned the van since 2002.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Cawte was a Royal Mail employee and was instrumental in the restoration of the vehicle which was used for promotional tours. When the van went to auction it was bought by the couple.
'It has all the original paint work and logos and font style from the 1980s,' said Mrs Cawte. 'I don't like driving it but Jim loves it. It has a massive steering wheel and it doesn't have power steering. We have quite a tight schedule and will be driving around 200 miles a day which will be a test for us both as it is quite uncomfortable.'
To sponsor Mr and Mrs Cawte visit https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/jennifercawte1
- 1 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 2 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 3 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 4 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 5 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 6 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 7 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 8 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 9 Police appeal for witnesses after pedestrian struck by car on A47
- 10 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers