Firefighters rescue elderly woman from fire in Horstead

Firefighters were sent to the scene.

Firefighters were sent to the scene. - Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2011

An elderly woman suffered leg injuries after a fire broke out at her home in Horstead.

The fire was reported at 2.57am, at a semi-detached bungalow in Glebe Way.

Firefighters found that one woman was trapped, and rescued her.

She was taken to hospital with minor burns to her legs.

A police spokesman said firefighters believe the fire was started by a cigarette, and it is not being treated as suspicious.


You may also want to watch:


Some neighbours said they were woken by the emergency service vehicles in the quiet cul-de-sac, but did not see any smoke or flames coming out of the building.

There were no signs of damage to the exterior of the house, but there what appeared to be a fire-damaged waste paper basket, and a burned cushion or rug, outside the front door, and there was a smell of smoke in the air.

Most Read

A spokesman of the East of England Ambulance Trust said: 'We sent a rapid response vehicle, ambulance crew and ambulance officer to the Horstead fire following call at 3.09am.

'They treated an elderly woman who had burns to her legs.

'She was taken to Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital for further treatment.'

A police spokesman said the woman was conscious and breathing.

The firefighters, from Sprowston, Wroxham and Earlham, used a hose reel and wore breathing apparatus, and used a thermal imaging camera to check for hot spots.

They were freed to attend other jobs at 3.31am.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus