Firefighters rescue elderly woman from fire in Horstead
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press Â© 2011
An elderly woman suffered leg injuries after a fire broke out at her home in Horstead.
The fire was reported at 2.57am, at a semi-detached bungalow in Glebe Way.
Firefighters found that one woman was trapped, and rescued her.
She was taken to hospital with minor burns to her legs.
A police spokesman said firefighters believe the fire was started by a cigarette, and it is not being treated as suspicious.
You may also want to watch:
Some neighbours said they were woken by the emergency service vehicles in the quiet cul-de-sac, but did not see any smoke or flames coming out of the building.
There were no signs of damage to the exterior of the house, but there what appeared to be a fire-damaged waste paper basket, and a burned cushion or rug, outside the front door, and there was a smell of smoke in the air.
- 1 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 2 'One of life's gentlemen' - Neighbours describe killer's double life
- 3 Woman's life 'left in pieces' after being raped while unconscious
- 4 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 5 Man in 50s dies after crash between car and bicycle
- 6 Builder opens shepherd huts on site with unusual feature
- 7 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Couple in 80s given hospital treatment after alleged assault in village
- 10 Part of A47 reopens after earlier accident
A spokesman of the East of England Ambulance Trust said: 'We sent a rapid response vehicle, ambulance crew and ambulance officer to the Horstead fire following call at 3.09am.
'They treated an elderly woman who had burns to her legs.
'She was taken to Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital for further treatment.'
A police spokesman said the woman was conscious and breathing.
The firefighters, from Sprowston, Wroxham and Earlham, used a hose reel and wore breathing apparatus, and used a thermal imaging camera to check for hot spots.
They were freed to attend other jobs at 3.31am.