Firefighters pull out of scheme to provide first aid
- Credit: Nick Butcher
An experimental scheme which saw some firefighters trained to provide life-saving first aid before ambulances could arrive at a casualty has ended after a pay deal could not be agreed.
The national scheme featured firefighters from a number of stations across the country – including five in Suffolk – being trained as first responders to be able to offer emergency help to people who had suffered a cardiac arrest.
The experiment started in October last year, and there have been more than 350 occasions in Suffolk when firefighters have been called out to administer first aid.
On many of those occasions they arrived before the ambulance service – and had been able to start working with casualties before paramedics arrived.
However national talks over a pay rise for firefighters broke down earlier this month and the Fire Brigades Union told the government its members would no longer take part in the experiment.
You may also want to watch:
That meant the trial finished last week.
The five stations in Suffolk that took part were at Felixstowe, Sudbury, Long Melford, Lowestoft South and Haverhill.
- 1 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 2 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 3 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 4 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 5 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 6 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 7 Giles Orpen-Smellie elected as police and crime commissioner
- 8 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 9 End of an era as Debenhams closes in Norwich
- 10 Hotel owner on directing The Only Way is Essex stars in Norfolk
The Long Melford crew was called to a road accident and found a casualty who had suffered a cardiac arrest. They were able to get the heart beating before the ambulance crew arrived – and paramedics said they were very impressed by their work.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue's Deputy Chief Fire Officer, Dan Fearn said: 'Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, along with a number of other fire services across the country have been involved in a national trial of co-responding for some time.
'Unfortunately the FBU has now withdrawn from the trial due to an ongoing debate with the Government related to their pay and conditions.
'Whilst this is a disappointing end to the trial, the fire service and Suffolk County Council are keen to consider reintroducing co-responding as soon as possible once the national position changes.'
Suffolk FBU secretary Roy Humphreys said it was a national decision to pull out of the trial which happened because there was no agreement over terms for firefighters.
He said: 'It remains to be seen what will happen in the future over this issue.'
RELATED STORY: Co-response trial gets underway in town