Fire rips through flat in north Norfolk town
- Credit: Archant
Fire ripped through a flat in a Norfolk town this afternoon.
A man was been detained by police after a fire ripped through a flat in a residential estate in Holt.
Norfolk Police said a man was taken into custody following the blaze in Manor Walk, Holt, which was now being investigated as a suspected arson.
Norfolk Fire and Rescue crews from Sheringham and Holt were called to the scene just after 1pm on Monday, October 29, and used hoses to put out the flames.
Charlie Bailey, who lives below the second-story flat where the fire happened, said he got home from work about 2.40pm to find some walls and part of the floor of his home were soaked with water from the firefighters' response.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Bailey described his shock as he found the scene and saw the state of his flat.
He said: 'When I came home I saw the police on the main road and as I got closer I saw the window was melted and burned out.
- 1 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 4 Former car showroom could make way for 146 student flats
- 5 Why teacher was right to report Confederate flag to police
- 6 Former pubs, schools and leisure centres among arson-hit sites
- 7 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 8 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 9 'This is nature' - Sadness as cathedral peregrine chick dies
- 10 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
'When I got in the power was out and part of our carpet had turned into a swimming pool.'
Mr Bailey said he had been told the electricity would be turned back on that day and dehumidifiers were being provided to dry the carpet.
No-one is believed to have been injured in the blaze.
The property is owned by Victory Housing Trust, which sent an employee to the site that afternoon to help with the recovery effort.
A spokesman from Victory thanked the emergency services for responding quickly to the fire and ensuring that it did not spread further throughout the building.
The spokesman said: 'We are thankful that no-one was injured in this incident, and are grateful for the prompt and professional response of the emergency services which ensured that everyone was safe, and that damage to the building was minimised.
'We have had a member of staff on site all afternoon to offer assistance to our residents.
'We are working with the emergency services to make the building safe, and once it is handed back to us, we will be able to assess what needs to be done to repair the damage.'
UPDATE: Police said (Wednesday, October 31) that the man was still in custody, and was being detained under the Mental Health Act.