Finkelgate roadworks: All you need to know ahead of spell of overnight closures from Monday
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
Overnight road closures in Norwich city centre will begin next week as part of a £300,000 transport scheme.
Work on the first phase of highways improvements at Finkelgate is ongoing, with the overnight closures beginning on Monday, September 19 and running until Sunday, October 2.
It will see 13 nights of work from 7pm to 7am.
The first phase of the work includes the adding of traffic lights at the junction with Queens Road and a new mini-roundabout at the Finkelgate junction with Ber Street.
The existing controlled crossing on Queens Road will be removed.
It is hoped the improvements will help the road cope with an expected increase in traffic of almost 20pc thanks to the multi-million pound Transport for Norwich project.
- 1 Distraught Norwich City fan 'lost £98k in football betting site collapse’
- 2 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 3 Flood alert on the Broads due to high water levels
- 4 Sale of council farm as part of 4,000 homes plan sparks controversy
- 5 Chef reopens historic Norwich coffee shop with roasts on the menu too
- 6 Lorry crashes into ditch in village near Norwich
- 7 Historic pub and restaurant to reopen after £150,000 investment
- 8 Man had cocaine hidden in car when stopped by police
- 9 'Let's get this built' - Unanimous support for new £12m Norfolk hospital unit
- 10 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
The closures will include:
• Finkelgate northbound lane - from Queens Road to Ber Street - will remain closed until October 4
• From September 19 to 22 - from 7pm to 7am - Ber Street will be closed from the junction with Mariners Lane to the junction with Bracondale
• The same section will be closed during the same times from September 29 to October 2
• Overnight closures on Queens Road from September 22 to 29
• Finkelgate will also be closed from September 19 to October 2
Alternate routes for Finkelgate northbound lane closure include:
• For eastbound vehicles on Queens Road, heading to Ber Street, the diversion will be to its junction with Ber Street and then into Ber Street.
• For northbound vehicles from Hall Road heading to Ber Street, the diversion route will be eastwards onto Queens Road to its junction with Ber Street, and then into Ber Street
Alternate route for Queens Road during overnight closure:
• For eastbound traffic, the alternate route is St Stephens Road, to Newmarket Road, along the ring road and onto Bracondale
• For westbound traffic, the alternate route is Bracondale, through the outer ring road, onto Newmarket Road and St Stephens Road
The first phase of the project is expected to come to a close on Tuesday, October 4.
A second stage, from Friday, October 21 to Monday 31, will see a new crossing island built on Hall Road at its junction with Queens Road.
Work will be undertaken during the day, from 7am to 7pm.
During this time, Hall Road's northbound lane will be closed, from its junction with Hobart Square to its junction with Queens Road.
What do you think of the planned changes to the city centre? Email firstname.lastname@example.org