Final appeal in campaign to buy Hoveton’s Granary Staithe
The parish council in Hoveton is making a final appeal for donations before it lodges a bid to buy Granary Staithe, a prominent riverside site, from Norfolk County Council.
The county council is marketing the historic area for �100,000 but the parish council is next week expected to make an offer substantially lower than that.
Its vision is to turn the untidy site into a performance area for music and theatre with a bandstand. New information panels will explain the history of the staithe where wherries once moored.
It also wants to introduce landscaping and seating and link the staithe to the shopping precinct with a bridge across a dyke.
Council spokesman Peter Howe said: 'We are amazed at how the donations have rolled in since the appeal was launched in June. Roys of Wroxham kindly allowed the chairman of Hoveton Parish Council, Carolyn Williams, to have a pitch in the store for two hours every Thursday morning in July.
You may also want to watch:
'Thanks to articles in the EDP and a widespread leaflet drop, residents just kept rolling up with their cash and cheques.
'One woman gave �1 for every year of her life. Another resident had just sold an unwanted household item and donated the amount he got for it.'
- 1 Cat food brands recalled over link to fatal disease
- 2 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 3 Man, 20, who drowned at Bawsey Pits is named
- 4 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 5 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 6 Tributes to popular Tesco worker with 'sparkling personality'
- 7 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 8 Norfolk social worker loses race discrimination case
- 9 See inside the 'tiny mobile homes' built from scratch for £95,000
- 10 'We'll be forced back on the roads' - travellers' plea at site hearing
He said several businesses and local voluntary organisations had also pledged money if a successful purchase could be negotiated.
Mrs Williams said: 'It has been phenomenal and the sentiment is always the same: 'We must keep Granary Staithe in community ownership in perpetuity'.
Final donation cheques should be made payable to Hoveton Parish Council and sent to the chairman, Carolyn Williams, Crabbetts, Horning Road, Hoveton, NR12 8JW.'