Fifteen pylons and 4.5km of overhead lines to be removed from Norwich skyline
- Credit: Archant
Fifteen pylons and 4.5km of overhead power lines are to be removed from the Norwich skyline.
UK Power Networks said its engineers will begin removing the structures in Trowse next week, with work due to be completed by autumn.
The company, which operates the electricity networks in the East of England, said it had already installed 5km of underground cable as part of a £5.6m scheme.
Project manager Paul Reed said: 'The pylons have been part of the skyline in Trowse for decades but residents will start seeing them come down next month [June].
'Power supplies will not be affected during the works and while there will be traffic diversions at times as we remove the overhead lines along parts of the route, the work should be completed before rush hour to keep disruption to a minimum.'
You may also want to watch:
Mr Reed said a section of the rivers Wensum and Yare in Trowse will have to close for up to two weeks to allow for the overhead lines to be removed.
But he added that engineers hoped to complete the section within a week, weather permitting.
- 1 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 4 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 5 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 6 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 7 Plans to open McDonald's on outskirts of town in 2022
- 8 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 9 Farke hammers Tzolis for penalty antics in City defeat
- 10 'Very high risk' paedophile who groomed 12-year-old has sentence doubled
'Safety patrols will be in attendance and we are working closely with local authorities to ensure disruption is kept to a minimum,' he said.
It is the second removal scheme to take place in the Norwich area over the past 18 months.
Earlier this year, UK Power Networks completed the removal of 11 pylons and 2.8km of power lines in the Bowthorpe area of the city.
They were replaced by 18km of underground cable.