Father of Suffolk County Council leader dies in road crash
The father of Suffolk County Council leader Colin Noble has died following a road crash.
Lawrence Noble, 76, could not be revived at the scene of the single-vehicle accident on Bury Road in Newmarket. He was a well-known businessman in Lakenheath, where his family lives.
The accident happened at about 12.30pm on Thursday and Colin Noble was told within the hour – shortly before the meeting was due to begin at 2pm. The meeting was postponed.
Current council chairman Jane Storey made the announcement as members assembled for the meeting and said it had been agreed to cancel it after discussing the situation with other group leaders.
The Archdeacon of Suffolk Ven Ian Morgan was in the council chamber to lead the thought for the day and instead lead councillors and officers in a short silence to mark the tragedy before everyone dispersed.
You may also want to watch:
County council chief executive Deborah Cadman sent a message to employees after speaking to Colin Noble. It said: 'It is with great sadness that I must share with you the news that Cllr Colin Noble's father has died unexpectedly in a car accident.
'Naturally our thoughts are with Cllr Noble and his family at this devastating time.'
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 2 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 3 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 4 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 5 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 6 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 7 Why has a golden dome appeared in this Norfolk town?
- 8 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 9 Delays on roads as petrol queues continue
- 10 Petrol station queues causing rush-hour delays
A police statement said they were investigating the possibility that Lawrence Noble could have had a medical episode before the accident, in which his car was in collision with a tree.
The statement said that the next of kin had been informed and that a dog was also found dead in the car following the accident.