Family of Bury St Edmunds murder victim Geoffrey Caton thank neighbours who tried to save life

Geoffrey Caton was stabbed in his home in Bury St Edmunds. Picture: SUFFOLK POLICE

Geoffrey Caton was stabbed in his home in Bury St Edmunds. Picture: SUFFOLK POLICE - Credit: Archant

The family of a man who was the victim of a murder in Cumberland Avenue, Bury St Edmunds, have said thank you to those who tried to save his life.

Suffolk police at the scene in Cumberland Avenue. Picture: ARCHANT

Suffolk police at the scene in Cumberland Avenue. Picture: ARCHANT - Credit: Archant

The family of a man who was the victim of a murder in Cumberland Avenue, Bury St Edmunds, have said thank you to those who tried to save his life. Geoffrey Caton, aged 57, of Cumberland Avenue, Bury St Edmunds, was found dead at his home on Thursday, July 20.

A neighbour had tried to help him by climbing in through the window, with a post mortem concluding he had been stabbed '65 times'.

Police have charged 43-year-old Mourad Belarbi, of Lake Avenue, Bury St Edmunds, with the murder of Mr Caton.

The family issued statement through Suffolk police, saying: '[We] are still trying to come to terms with the events of last week. Therefore, at this stage we would ask that you respect the privacy of the whole family.

'[We] would, however, wish to thank the friends and neighbours who tried to come to Geoffrey's aid and also the Emergency Services for their efforts. We can't thank you enough for all you did.'


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus