Fakenham residents urged to be vigilant after burglary
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
Police are urging Fakenham residents to be vigilant following a distraction burglary incident on Monday, June 19.
It took place shortly before 10pm at an address in North Park in Fakenham, when a male purporting to be from the water board asked to check a resident's supply claiming the water in the area was contaminated.
The elderly victim let the suspect in and he took some details before leaving the property. Shortly afterwards the victim realised that a picture frame had been stolen and a jewellery box had been searched through.
Superintendent Chris Harvey, Commander for North Norfolk and Broadland, said: 'Residents' suspicions should always be aroused when they are confronted with unexpected and unknown callers. Always request and inspect ID from anyone who is requesting to enter your home before allowing them in, and if you remain suspicious call the police on 101.
'Likewise, if you are a resident with elderly or vulnerable neighbours, we would urge you to keep an eye out for their welfare and to report anything suspicious to us if you suspect that they are being taken advantage of. If you believe any vehicles to be involved, then we request that you note and report the registration if possible.'
You may also want to watch:
Witnesses or anyone who may have more information regarding this incident should contact Fakenham Police Station on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 2 Hollywood actors use Norwich hair salon
- 3 Garden centre launches outdoor eating with wood-fired pizza and waffles
- 4 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
- 5 MPs join the call to suspend gallbladder surgeon
- 6 Norwich shop worker beaten with hammer in row over phone refund
- 7 Popular railway will 'cease to exist' as soon as this year
- 8 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 9 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 10 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash