Eyewitness tells of ‘devastating’ scene at Yarmouth fire
- Credit: Deivydas Andriuskevicius
An eyewitness has told of the 'devastating' scene he saw outside his home in the early hours, after a bowling alley and businesses went up in flames.
Deivydas Andriuskevicius, 22, was evacuated from his home opposite the bowling alley.
He said: 'I was obviously sleeping but round 3:30am I heard really loud noises, firemen shouting, fire engines, water etc. My mum and my sister were also awake.
'My 14-year-old sister Guste was panicking as the smoke was getting in through the window and it wasn't easy to breathe properly. I looked through the window and I saw a lot of fire engines and even bigger number of firefighters all over Regent Road.
'I spotted the fire on top of the Indoor Market building first. Firefighters were shouting for us to quickly get out, so we took few valuable things and went outside.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Andriuskevicius, a street lighting apprentice with Amey, said: 'I saw a lot of people gathering near the Prince Regent pub so I went there next. I saw the fire spread into the Superbowl building after as well as other units on the right side toward McDoanlds. I believe it's about 14 units in total.
'It was devastating to witness such thing to all of us. I know Regent Road is a historical and also famous road known by thousands of people.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 3 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 4 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 5 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 6 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 7 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 8 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 9 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 10 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack
I stayed at the Prince Regent for a while, the fire was getting bigger and bigger so I went to my friends house around 4:15am as we obviously weren't allowed to go back to ours.
'I went back again around 5am and the fire was going down as firefighters were putting enormous amount of water on it. About 5.20am I saw fire spread into other buildings once again. It was scary and also sad to watch that.
'I asked one of the firefighters if I could go back to my house as entry is from opposite side, not from regent road side and he said I could.
'I went back home, went upstairs, and the view was shocking. Fires all over units.
'I took a live Facebook video so people would be aware of such a horrible incident and got ready for work after.
'However, all the roads around bus station were closed, so I didn't catch my bus, and stayed in Yarmouth.
'There were a lot of people watching from both sides of Regent Road. I went back home, and recorded the consequences and it was like a scary movie or tragedy. Later a fireman came to my house and took a statement.'