Explore Norfolk’s historic churches with annual cycle ride fundraiser
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
Keen cyclists are being encouraged to hop on two wheels and explore Norfolk's historic churches as part of an annual fundraiser.
Held on Saturday, September 9, the Bike, Ride and Drive event organised by the Norfolk Churches Trust sees people pump up their bike tyres to explore as many of the county's religious buildings as possible in one day.
The largest annual fundraising event for the trust is free to sign up to and anyone of all ages can take part.
Those taking part are encouraged to collect sponsors for every church they visit and are also able to make a one off donation if they wish.
Organiser Charles Inglis said the day is a great excuse to explore Norfolk's architectural and historical heritage while helping to preserve the buildings for future generations.
He said: 'With over 600 medieval churches open on the day, there is something to be discovered in every church and some lovely countryside to travel through in between.
'It is a fantastic day out, a reason to explore your local area as well as raising money for a great cause.'
- 1 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 2 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
- 3 Man charged with murder of 19-year-old daughter
- 4 'Heartbreaking' - Vandals force landmark church to close after damage spree
- 5 Two men charged with murder after death in Downham Market
- 6 Hospital worker set for £60,000 payout after raising 'bullying' concerns
- 7 Cyclist's relief as driver is convicted following traumatic accident
- 8 Woman 'shocked' after brick thrown through living-room window
- 9 Toddler died after getting trapped between stair gates
- 10 Fire at farm near Taverham being treated as arson
Over the 34 years the event has been running, the Bike, Ride and Drive has raised around £2.5m.
Last year the ride raised just over £100,000, which the trust is hoping to beat.
All money raised is split between the participant's church of choice and the Norfolk Churches Trust.
The person who raises the most on the day will be awarded a certificate signed by the trust's patron, HRH The Prince of Wales.
The trust is also running a Bike, Ride and Drive photography competition sponsored by Brown & Co. There is a £100 prize for the best picture from the day.
Sponsorship forms, a list of participating churches and details of the photo competition are available at http://norfolkchurchestrust.org.uk/bike-ride/Are you raising money for charity? Email firstname.lastname@example.org