Evacuation from amusement arcade in Hemsby after building fills up with smoke
- Credit: Archant
A fire chief is urging businesses to train workers in fire safety after quick-thinking staff prevented a major blaze in a seaside amusement arcade.
The electrical fire at Caesars Arcade on Beach Road, Hemsby, broke out just before 2pm today while the attraction was busy with Bank Holiday customers.
Simon Mason, Great Yarmouth fire station manager, who attended the emergency, said it started in a light fitting in the ceiling which burnt a hole in the carpet and spread to one of the games machines.
Before firefighters arrived from Martham and Yarmouth just after 2.05pm, some staff put out the flames with a fire extinguisher preventing it spreading while others helped all the customers out of the arcade quickly and safely.
No-one was injured or taken to hospital.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Mason said: 'I'm quite confident that had the staff not acted as swiftly as they did we would could have been facing a significant fire when we arrived at the scene.
'The staff did an excellent job in quite a stressful situation. The fire had been put out efficiently by staff. I'm confident they saved multi-million pounds worth of damage.
- 1 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 2 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 3 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 4 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 5 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 6 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 7 Three cars crash and two end up in ditches on rural road
- 8 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
- 9 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
'Our message is to encourage all businesses and shop owners to make sure their staff are fully briefed on fire precautions.'
A witness described seeing Caesars arcade fill-up with 'black smoke'.
James Gray, who owns Lost World Adventure Golf next door to Caesars, said: 'You could not see anything inside because the whole building was full of black smoke.
'Hats off to the staff though, people were evacuated and they dealt with it very well.
'I heard the fire extinguishers go off inside and I think they had it under control by the time the fire service arrived.'
Some 20 firefighters attended the incident, including one crew from Stalham and the aerial ladder platform from Yarmouth.
Fire crews checked the roof of the single-storey arcade to check the fire had stopped before they left the scene at 3.10pm.
About seven police officers also attended, to control the road and people outside the arcade, and one ambulance officer was also called.
For fire safety advice visit www.norfolkfireservice.gov.uk/nfrs/