‘Feel proud of your children’: Norwich junior school head’s message to parents after top Ofsted rating
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
A city junior school has become one of the few schools in Norfolk to be rated as outstanding by education watchdogs.
White Woman Lane Junior School in Sprowston was rated outstanding by Ofsted in all areas – including effectiveness of leadership, quality of teaching and pupils' personal development – after a two-day inspection in September.
Following the upgrade from its previous good rating the school believes it is now the county's only junior school to hold the top ranking – a claim supported by Norfolk County Council.
In a letter sent to parents on Wednesday, executive headteacher Ashley Best-White said: 'I am thrilled that the inspection team has recognised the high quality of all aspects of our school and the hard work and commitment shown by staff.'
The inspection report said the school showed 'outstanding pastoral care and highly effective teaching', noting that leaders and governors had 'successfully created a culture where teachers and pupils strive to be the best that they can be in all they do'.
You may also want to watch:
Inspectors said the 'carefully considered' curriculum helped pupils to succeed academically and personally.
Teachers' work to identify and address weaknesses in reading, writing and mathematics meant pupils' progress was 'increasingly strong' as they moved through the school, they said.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 3 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 4 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 5 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 6 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 7 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 8 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town
- 9 Norwich pub to temporarily close this summer because of 'pingdemic'
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
The report noted that the school had seen an increase in the proportion of pupils with special educational needs and/or disabilities in recent years, but that these pupils 'make the same very strong and substantial progress as other pupils who have similar starting points'.
In her letter Mrs Best-White said the outstanding rating was a 'tremendous achievement' for staff, governors, pupils and families.
'The inspection report highlights the many strengths of the school and I hope you enjoy reading it and also feel justifiably proud of your children and their school,' she said.
'We will not be complacent however and will strive not only to maintain this high standard but to build on it and improve further.'
White Woman Lane Junior School is the lead school in the Nebula Foundation, a federation of six primary schools with one executive headteacher and a supporting executive senior leadership team.