UK Scout Sailing Nationals a success for Norfolk
- Credit: Archant
The UK Scout Sailing Nationals held at Wroxham at the weekend were hailed a major success for Norfolk after more than 100 scouts from around the country participated.
Local sea scouts taking part in the annual event included 1st Brundall, 8th Norwich, 1st Blofield, 1st Dickleburgh, Victory Explorers North Walsham and Wherry Explorers Wroxham.
Organiser Gary Howes said the local scouts had acquitted themselves well in the two day event against some tough national competition.
He said: 'The event was held at the Norfolk Broads Yacht Club at Wroxham and organised by 1st Blofield and Brundall Sea Scouts and 8th Norwich Sea Scouts.'
Mr Howes said just over 100 sea scouts had taken part from around the UK.
You may also want to watch:
'We had 101 camping and sailing in total. Other competitors came from South Shields, Whitby, Nottinghamshire, Warwick, Epping Forest and Gosport.'
There were 10 trophies on offer across the following categories: Single Handed, Slow Handicap, Fast Handicap in Under 13s, Under 15s, Under 18 and one trophy for the Leaders/Network.
- 1 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 2 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 3 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 4 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 5 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 6 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 7 Norfolk Day 2021: Your must-have guide to all events
- 8 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 9 Rooms with a view? See two new hotel suites costing £120,000
- 10 Man 'helping police with inquiries' in search for missing woman
'Sailing conditions were difficult with very light winds on both Saturday and Sunday,' said Mr Howes.
'The wind did build on Saturday afternoon but Sunday morning saw a postponement while we waited for the wind.'
Local winners included:
• Daniel Conway of 8th Norwich in the Under 13 Topper class single-hand race;
• Toby Pearce of 8th Norwich in the Under 15 Laser class single-hand;
• Joe Wootton and Toby Pearce of 8th Norwich in the Under 18 RS Vision class fast hand; and
• Ed Cubitt of Victory Explorers North Walsham, Under 18 Laser class single-hand.
Mr Howes said the UK Scout Sailing Nationals will be held in South Shields next year.
'We are hoping the event will return to NBYC in 2020 as it was a great success. We need to thank everyone who gave their time to ensure it went off so well.'
The NBYC is situated on the banks of the Wroxham Broad and promotes all aspects of competitive racing as well as encouraging a more leisurely and relaxed sail. Mr Howes said anyone wanting to join the Scout movement as a youngster or a leader should contact email@example.com