Thetford Grammar School pupils visit parliament
Budding MPs of the future from Thetford Grammar School's received first hand experience of life at Westminster.
Year 8 pupils visited the Houses of Parliament as part of the school's programme of Citizenship studies.
During the tour Thetford's young politicians spent time in the House of Lords with its magnificent red and gold livery and saw where the Sovereign sits to deliver the Queen's speech. They also spent time in Westminster Hall where Guy Fawkes was tried, Barack Obama was entertained and the Queen Mother lay in state.
When the Upper Chamber was finished with, the pupils were guided through Westminster's lobbies with its magnificent statues and artwork. They then went into the Visitors Gallery of the House of Commons. Once inside the House the youngsters were able to see one of the world's most famous debating chambers in action as they witnessed a live debate on the law regarding daylight saving.
Thetford student Will Gunn said it 'was amazing', whilst fellow pupil Georgia Dargan 'couldn't believe how compact it was.'
You may also want to watch:
Later that afternoon the students were involved in a session, learning about voting which took place in one of the new committee rooms of Portcullis House just across the road from Big Ben.
Thetford Grammar School also welcomed pupils from its French counterpart as the school's annual exchange took place with the arrival of staff and students from College Jacques Monod in the town of Compiegne. During the visit pupils from both schools participated in a wide variety of activities ranging from sports to more academic pastimes.
- 1 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 2 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 3 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 4 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 5 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 6 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 7 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 8 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 9 Police appeal for witnesses after pedestrian struck by car on A47
- 10 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers