Thetford Grammar School headteacher set to retire
The headteacher of Thetford's oldest school is set to retire after 40 years in the profession.
Gareth Price will step down from the 900-year-old Thetford Grammar School at the end of the current year, having taken over in 2005.
Mr Price, 60, said he felt the time was right to let someone new take the reins.
'Teaching is something that needs 100 per cent of your energy and when you get to 60 the energy levels start to decrease.
'I have had a long time in the job and now's the time to hand over to someone new and dynamic to take the school forward,' he said.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Price, who was born in Bedford, joined the school having previously taught in the Isle of Wight.
He picked the school's recent anniversary as a highlight of his time there.
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 3 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 4 Key workers share 'unnecessary and frustrating' impact of panic-buying
- 5 Weird Norfolk: Is Diss Mere the waterlogged crater of an extinct volcano?
- 6 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 7 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 8 Search continues for man with knife who chased victim into KFC
- 9 Controversy reignited over 300 home scheme on edge of Norwich
- 10 Queuing for petrol - a tale as old as time
'It's always a privilege to work with young people and particularly at a school as ancient as this.
'We are celebrating our 900th year this year and it's been an interesting experience working in a school this old,' he said.
His advice for his successor was to stay focussed on students, and to make sure individual needs are considered.
Now living in Northwold, he says he plans to garden and take on some volunteer work during his retirement.
A keen historian, Mr Price said he may also do some research into local history, such as Kett's Rebellion.
Do you have a story for the Times? Let us know by emailing reporter Andrew Fitchett on email@example.com