Students prepare to stage the Sound of Music at Aylsham High School
- Credit: Archant
The hall is alive with the Sound of Music at Aylsham High School as students put the finishing touches to their version of the blockbuster musical.
A cast of 80 is bolstered by a professional 13-piece orchestra, and a budget running into thousands of pounds is also transforming the foyer into a convent chapel, and showgoers will be greeted by students dressed as nuns.
And for the first time seven youngsters from local primary schools are taking part, playing junior members of the von Trapp family.
The Sound of Music was a box office hit 50 years ago, starring Julie Andrews and featuring singalong hits such as Do-Re-Mi, Climb Every Mountain, My Favourite Things and Lonely Goatherd.
It tells the story of novice nun Maria who leaves her holy orders to become a governess to the children of Captain von Trapp. She falls in love and the family run away from the Nazis just as war is breaking out.
You may also want to watch:
Maria is played by 15-year-old Emmie Wright from Southrepps, who said: 'I grew up with the Sound of Music and I love it, so to play Maria is fantastic.
'When they cast me as Maria I cried!' added Emmie who wants to go on to study theatre or dance after leaving school.
- 1 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 2 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 3 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 4 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 5 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 6 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 7 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
- 8 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers
- 9 Man drove round campsite 'like a rally driver' after argument
- 10 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
Captain von Trapp is played by 16-year-old Ben Would, who so wowed production staff that he landed the key part with his first ever audition.
The Aylsham students have been rehearsing since September and building sets including a ballroom.
The show runs from Wednesday March 18 to Saturday March 21.
Tickets are on sale from the school every Monday, Wednesday and Friday lunchtime, email email@example.com or phone 01263 733270 ext 126. They cost between £8 and £10.