Scheme to match “great headteachers” to schools in need expands into Norfolk
- Credit: Archant
A national programme to find 'great headteachers to improve schools in need of support' has announced Norfolk as one of 10 areas to join.
The Talented Leaders Programme, run by the Future Leaders Trust, aims to recruit 100 heads across the areas, to help raise children's achievements.
It is targeting schools in coastal and rural regions, which often have problems recruiting leaders, and can be among the lowest performing schools in the country.
One Norfolk school, the Great Yarmouth Primary Academy, has already benefited from the charity's help. In April, the trust announced Craig Avieson as its first residency in the county. He has since become principal at the school.
James Joyce, chairman of children's services committee at Norfolk County Council, said: 'We know that recruiting talented and experienced headteachers can be a significant challenge in the county, particularly in some of Norfolk's more rural areas.
You may also want to watch:
'Strong leaders inspire staff and pupils and help to ensure young people in their schools are able to fulfil their potential – that is why securing good leadership is so vital to a school's success.'
A spokesman for the Future Leaders Trust said the aim was not to sack existing heads, and it hoped to see recruits in place next September.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 3 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 4 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 5 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 8 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 9 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
- 10 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
Do you have an education story? Email email@example.com