Rugby stars help launch new sports pavilion at Gresham’s School in Holt
- Credit: Archant
Father and son rugby internationals Nick and Tom Youngs were among the guests at the opening of a new sports pavilion at Gresham's School, Holt on Sunday.
The pair, both of whom are former Gresham's students, have enjoyed considerable success on the rugby field. Mr Youngs senior won six England caps in the early 1980s and his son Tom is currently playing alongside his younger brother Ben for Leicester Tigers and England.
The new pavilion, which replaces a thatched building dating back to 1902, was funded by the school, with a substantial contribution made by the Gresham's Foundation fundraising group and a new scoreboard paid for by the Old Greshamians group for former students.
As well as ground floor changing facilities, the wooden pavilion has a first floor club room with views over the school grounds.
It was officially opened by former Gresham's headmaster Logie-Bruce Lockhart, who himself was a rugby international - won five rugby caps for Scotland in the early 1950s.
You may also want to watch:
Also attending was Douglas Robb, who takes over the headship of the school in September.
The day-long celebration kicked off with a cricket match between current students and Old Greshamians, followed by an outdoor reception for guests.
- 1 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 2 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 3 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 4 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
- 5 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 6 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 7 Shoppers queue for revamped garden centre reopening
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries keen on Cherries ace
- 9 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 10 Norfolk-based Rick Wakeman 'stunned and proud' after being made a CBE
Gresham's sports development director Steve Adams said the new pavilion would allow the school, which hosts the annual North Norfolk Schools Athletics Championships and the Norfolk Winter School Games cross country event, to reinforce its links with other local schools and sports clubs.
'It will ensure the sporting legacy of Gresham's and provide a state-of-the-art facility, not only for our pupils, but for Holt and the surrounding community,' Mr Adams added.