Ruby Wax talks about mental health to pupils at Jane Austen College
Comedian Ruby Wax has talked to pupils at a Norwich high school about her experiences with mental health issues.
During her hour-long visit to the Jane Austen College, a new free school which opened in Colegate in Norwich in September, she told pupils one-in-four people are affected by mental health problems at some point during their lives.
Year 7 pupil Francesa Lubbock said: 'I found it eye opening to talk about mental health. It made me think about different ways it can be managed.
'It's really good to talk about mental health and Ruby was amazing. I feel more comfortable talking about it now and would like to look into the subject more.'
The visit was organised by Michelle Atkinson, the college's pastoral mentor, and follows lessons on mindfulness, and assemblies on mental health from sixth form students.
You may also want to watch:
College principal Claire Heald said: 'Ruby talked about her experiences with depression and why she choose to become an ambassador for mental health issues.
'We think it's an important subject to talk about and Ruby gave a very personal and engaging viewpoint.'
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 4 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 5 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 6 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 7 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 8 St Benedict's Street restaurant closes due to 'pingdemic'
- 9 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 10 Family's tribute to much loved motorcyclist, 21, involved in A10 crash
Friday's visit came during Ms Wax's two-night residency at Norwich Playhouse.
What do you think? Write (giving your full contact details) to: The Letters Editor, Norwich Evening News, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich NR1 1RE or email email@example.com