Royal reception for Norwich students as they meet Prince Charles
Five Norfolk students met a host of VIPs – including The Prince of Wales – this week as they celebrated completing the Prince's Trust Team programme.
Charlotte Farrow, Louisa Medler, Daniel Burley-Clarke, Lucy Fuller and Lee Drake, who all study at City College Norwich, attended a royal reception at St James' Palace.
They joined Prince Charles as well as Premier League footballers including Jermain Defoe, Kevin Davies and Danny Shittu, and former Norwich City star Dion Dublin, to mark the 15th anniversary of the Prince's Trust's football initiative.
The scheme aims to use the sport to boost the confidence, motivation and team-working skills of young people and encourage them to gain qualifications.
Daniel, 18, from Norwich, said: 'The reception was really good. We met Prince Charles as a group and I also got to speak to Dion Dublin. Doing The Prince's Trust's Team programme improved my confidence and I would encourage other people to go for it because it really helps.'
You may also want to watch:
Emma Roberts, Prince's Trust team leader at the college said the students had been able to talk confidently to both the prince and the footballers. She said: 'I was extremely proud of them all and how they have progressed to being able to conduct themselves at such a prestigious event.'
Since completing the 12-week course, which has helped more than 20,000 young people since 1997, Louisa, Daniel, Lucy and Lee have all enrolled on courses at City College while Charlotte has secured a full-time job with the Post Office.
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 3 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 4 Man seriously injured after crash
- 5 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 6 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 7 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 8 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 9 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 10 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
Lucy, 23, from Norwich, said: 'The Prince's Trust has changed me a lot.'
For more information about The Prince's Trust programme at City College, or to arrange an interview to join the next course starting on April 30, contact Emma Roberts on 07769 693 248.