Outstanding: Thorpe St Andrew pupils tell us about their school
We asked five Thorpe St Andrew pupils about their school, which has just been judged 'outstanding' by Ofsted. This is what they told us.
Annabel Mccarthy, 15, said: 'We have student leaders, which is in year 11. I am one of them. We arrange stuff for our house and do mentoring with the younger years to help them. For example, reading for Year 7 for some who find it hard to do literature, and we do mentoring for individual subjects if they find it difficult.'
Annie Webb, 12, said: 'I think it's a nice place to be. I have mentoring on my maths and it really helps. The teacher can't explain it individually to everyone, so when you have a mentor there they can explain it just to you and slow it down.'
Matt Dwornik, 18, said: 'There's a friendly atmosphere. The teachers and students really get on, particularly in the sixth form where the teachers treat you like peers. They give you individual time to work, as well as the ability to get help from other teachers depending on how you like to learn.'
Sophie Demellweek, 17, said: 'As soon as a student comes into the school they are given target grades. It's important so people know how they are improving. It's even more important in GCSEs and A-levels. I find teachers know each individual student's strengths and weakness. Especially in the sixth form, you feel you are getting really personalised teaching.'
You may also want to watch:
Billy Plummer, 16, said: 'We get a lot of guidance and if you want any advice the teachers are really helpful. Some people might not know what choices to make, but their teachers know them in their subjects so they can give a helping hand.'
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 3 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 4 Weird Norfolk: Is Diss Mere the waterlogged crater of an extinct volcano?
- 5 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 6 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 7 Delays on roads as petrol queues continue
- 8 Key workers share 'unnecessary and frustrating' impact of panic-buying
- 9 Can you spot yourself at Let's Rock Norwich?
- 10 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub